I got a little busy and haven’t got back to this project until now. Last update was Part 4. I noticed that my local network was losing time sync. I knew I has enabled NTP on the server… why wasn’t it serving my local clients.
After digging into it a little, I noticed that the new install did not have the listen on * added to the /etc/ntpd.conf configuration file. Added it, restarted the daemon, and bingo! Time sync. I could of course have all my local devices sync themselves to an internet time server, but why have the extra clients/load/internet traffic. 😀
NFS was having some performance issues. Bad enough where a 1 gig movie was having buffering issues. I know that TCP has more overhead than UDP so I jumped in to the server, switched nfsd with the -u to force it to only allow UDP connections. I am currently watching a 1.7 gig file without any issues. As a test I am about to start uncompressing some tarballs and recompiling the system with the latest patches. I will report back later.
For some reason the system is now missing libc, libssl, libcrypto. This is causing issues installing noip and mysql. Almost there.
NOIP – BROKE MySQL – BROKE