I had a friend give me a broken 52″ Sony Bravia TV. The issue so far is some horizontal lines that display until the TV warms up, which takes about ten minutes.
Not bad for free, turn on the TV and go make some grub, then you are ready to watch a movie. Of course this is a perfect addition to the Raspberry Pi Kodi project I been doing.
I mounted the TV on the wall with the Pi just behind it connected to HDMI1. It all went rather smooth dispite mounting a TV that large by yourself. I normally just use an app on the phone for a remote control of the Kodi system. That was until, while playing with the new Sony remote control, it controlled Kodi.
Yes… apparently the sony TV can send HDMI controls to devices plugged into it. This was a cool new feature that I never heard of before. I now have one remote to control them all! Okay not really… Just one remote to control both the Sony TV and Kodi. Which does make things very streamlined. I even went in to test the other TV to see if I just been missing the setting to turn it on… Nope. For my its just the Sony.
The new movie library has been working flawlessly! I picked up a second flat screen that I mounted in the living room with its own PI. Now I can start a movie, press pause, and resume on another TV in the other room. The next step is building the movie library.
I have several hundred DVDs around the house that I cannot play without using a computer. I am testing out a program on the mac called MakeMKV. It takes about 40 minutes to save a DVD into a MKV file. In order to save my whole collection will take three days of straight saving. Likely it will take much longer, because who has the time to sit there for three says just watching DVDs save.
Because I am only saving my own purchased DVDs, I don’t have to worry about getting in trouble with the law! Yet, when people come over I will be able to use the Kodi Media center to easily browse the movie library, watch trailers, and select what we want to watch. I think this part of the project will finish it up.
Well… Need to hookup the Pi in my daughter’s room, so she can earn a movie to watch …. that will be TBD later 🙂
I got a little busy and haven’t got back to this project until now. Last update was Part 4. I noticed that my local network was losing time sync. I knew I has enabled NTP on the server… why wasn’t it serving my local clients.
After digging into it a little, I noticed that the new install did not have the listen on * added to the /etc/ntpd.conf configuration file. Added it, restarted the daemon, and bingo! Time sync. I could of course have all my local devices sync themselves to an internet time server, but why have the extra clients/load/internet traffic. 😀
NFS was having some performance issues. Bad enough where a 1 gig movie was having buffering issues. I know that TCP has more overhead than UDP so I jumped in to the server, switched nfsd with the -u to force it to only allow UDP connections. I am currently watching a 1.7 gig file without any issues. As a test I am about to start uncompressing some tarballs and recompiling the system with the latest patches. I will report back later.
For some reason the system is now missing libc, libssl, libcrypto. This is causing issues installing noip and mysql. Almost there.
NOIP – BROKE MySQL – BROKE